This is my journey in creating concepts, writing, illustrating, finding a literary agent, and becoming a published children's book author and illustrator for the picture book genre.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Goal oriented girl!

That is me! I have had my membership to SCBWI for a few months now. I am not going to lie, it is BEYOND intimidating. I look at all of the members and think, "I am not worthy". I feel a bit amateur in comparison to others that talk about their work; they are published and have a career. I have this overwhelming feeling of inferiority. I doodle and write. On occasion a compliment will come my direction and excite me. The truth of it is that I don't know if I am any good at what I do. I aspire. My want and drive to succeed is strong. This is who I am. I am an author with dreams of creating more. My work is a reflection of me and my personal history. In my youth, books were my salvation. Imagination was my retreat. In order to continue on this path, I need to immerse myself in the environment that I see myself belonging to. It is scary, mind you. I am an incredibly shy individual and incredibly insecure about the work I do. In truth, aren't all artists? Subjectivity is the only objective truth in art. Opinion is the whole basis of its success.
I have a new goal to help me achieve the next step in my aspiration to be a represented and published author.
It is time to work towards a grant. I would like to get a new computer, high quality scanner, and Photoshop program that will enable me to do more with my art. I would also like to take a class or attend a workshop. It isn't cheap. These tools are necessary though.
This is the grant that I am going to apply for. Cross your fingers and toes for me. As I work towards the entry requirements, I will post them for you to see.
As always, I am an aspiring children's book author with a huge dream!
http://www.scbwi.org/Pages.aspx/Don-Freeman-Grant


No comments:

Post a Comment