This is my journey in creating concepts, writing, illustrating, finding a literary agent, and becoming a published children's book author and illustrator for the picture book genre.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

learn from others....

Manners books differ in many ways. Some are direct. Others find their usefulness through a surplus of illustrations.  Most use characters based off of animals.  They are very busy and full of material. Is Andy to simple? I have incorporated introductions and "please and thank you" in this book. As i read them, I continually contrast and compare their stories to mine of Andy.

What I have learned so far:

  •  The title needs some tweaking. I need it to have the word "manners" in the title.
  • Andy has an adventure and learns his manners from his friends.
  • Maybe state actual subjects for future titles. i.e. tantrums and learning the fine art of apologizing? 
  • To rhyme or not to rhyme?
  • The majority of authors for manners in the child genre are parents.
  • My query needs some changes. I need to use titles for a comparison in my query. There are books of this subject that are similar. 
  • It is an easy reader not a picture book.
  • Make a list of the publishing companies from the books I like. Perhaps I can find agents that have sold to these publishers. 

There are some tv shows on PBS that also use manners as a theme. Berenstain Bears comes to mind. On Nickelodeon, Max and Ruby is another great example. Both cartoons have siblings so children can relate to a gender. They have real type situations that problem solve and demonstrate the correct behavior. Does my book do that? 
Well, I am off to the library for another adventure in searching for books with an underlying theme of manners. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment