This is my journey in creating concepts, writing, illustrating, finding a literary agent, and becoming a published children's book author and illustrator for the picture book genre.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Working hard

Every dream requires a degree of work. Well, I am constantly working towards this goal. I think you have to. One artist reminded me not to be perfect. Draw, paint, create without hinderance of perfection. So, I sketch. I sketch something every day. Some days are just throw away days. Somedays,drawing a circle is just to complicated to try. Then there are other days where inspiration vibrates like electricity through metal. It zips about and lines flow! Here is the newest sketch that I will add to my illustrative collections when it is completed. 

I am excited to announce that the majority of my application is complete and I will submit it to SCBWI southern breeze tonight. Part of the application process required me to write a bio about myself and my education. Well, I don't think they were really looking to hear about my nursing background. I reached out to a friend of mine who is a designer for a toy company. I asked him for some advice and what caught his attention when sorting through illustrative cards and artist statements. He offered words that will forever warm my heart.  This is how he described my work, "you have a unique voice and your art is identifiably your own. Take pride in your uniqueness. You are pursuing this field because you want to tell stories that children will remember all their lives and will want to share with their children." 
Art can make a person lack a sense of confidence. He continued to identify the strengths in my art and what separated it from the usual applicants. It is lovely to hear words that inspire from someone you admire. He is also a dad and part of my target audience. 
I found my words and illustrative voice that i wish to communicate. I really don't know what my chances are at winning this award, but I like to think that they are as good as any other applicant- may be a bit better because of how different it is from what is the trend right now. Thank you for following me on my journey. Your feedback that I receive here and on my facebook page helps to validate my efforts that I put into this dear aspiration of mine. You can also follow me on twitter @cdunbridge. I post updates there when I make a new blog post!

Always Aspiring,
C. Dunbridge

No comments:

Post a Comment