This is my journey in creating concepts, writing, illustrating, finding a literary agent, and becoming a published children's book author and illustrator for the picture book genre.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

rejection is hard but necessary....

Spooky pumpkins!
Today I received a rejection to my query. At first, I was a bit sad. Rejection is never easy. Submitting your art for others to criticize takes courage. Receiving a letter without any constructive criticism is hard. Like many artists, I believe in my work.  It saddens me to know that someone else doesn't.  An agent needs to represent my needs and have an interest for my style of writing. Truthfully, after researching this agency I found myself agreeing with their decision. We were  not a good fit. It just didn't feel right. They asked for exclusivity upon submission. This would have been a red flag to someone who was familiar with the process.  It was my first query out there and their response was timely.  I did appreciate that.  I began to consider what was important to me as a writer. I have 3 stories that I wish to write. Two are children's picture books and the other is a children's/ YA story. I need an agent that will support my creativity and find the right publisher for me.
I find it funny and ironic that a big part of writing is actually reading.
Fall is here and my boys are busy.
It has been a long, hard week on a personal front.  Writing hasn't been the priority but is beginning to become center stage again.  During Nanowrimo, I am going to write the story of Abernathy.  It is National Novel Writing Month in November. I can't participate with site write ins, but I can write.
Andy the Ant is a completed manuscript. My other children's story is about Mean Lou be do and the once tall township of Alamaroo.  This book focuses on tantrums. It is another story written in rhyme. I haven't finished it, but it is on its way there!
Thank you to Mrs. Emily Post and her wise words.  They are my motivation in my pursuit of my writing dreams.
"A genuine, sincere, kindly American man—or woman—can go anywhere and be welcomed by everyone, provided of course, that he is a man of ability and intellect." 

No comments:

Post a Comment